Sunday 17 August 2014

2014: The Music I've loved so far.

I wanted to start doing a monthly music discoveries post, but there's so many bands/artists I've started listening to this year that I really wanted to share them with you. They aren't all necessarily new and they vary a lot so I'm hoping there's some stuff in my list that interests everyone.

1. Darlia 
Nathan Day, Dave Williams and Jack Bentham are a three piece band from Blackpool that I can only describe as a lovechild of Nirvana and Oasis. They have a distinctively British sound to them, but they really remind me of an early 90's grunge movement. I have often described them as the future of good music from the UK, and I'm proud to say I'm seeing them live next month in Nottingham. 
If you like this, give a listen to: Pandemonium, Candyman, Napalm, Choke on Bones, Queen of Hearts.

2. Wolf Alice
I saw Wolf Alice supporting The 1975 in Norwich back in February. The crowd seemed a bit indifferent to them, which really pissed me off. They were amazing. Wolf Alice are one of those bands that while they're on stage, they really commit. Ellie Rowsell, Joel Amey, Joff Oddie and Theo Ellis first released their debut single 'Fluffy' in February, but we were treated to one of their finest songs in Norwich. Moaning Lisa Smile is one of my all time favourite songs and makes me feel like I'm on another planet. Out of this world. 
If you like this, give a listen to: Storms, 90 Mile Beach, Fluffy, We're Not The Same, Bros, Blush, Heavenly Creatures.

3. The Neighbourhood
Technically, I'm cheating. I first discovered The Neighbourhood in October 2013. However, I didn't see them live until February 2013 (another support act for The 1975, and the reason we actually went to go see them). Jesse Rutherford, Jeremy Freedman, Zach Abels, Mikey Margott and Brandon Fried. An American blessing that formed in 2011 and hailed from California. They're most well known for their single "Sweater Weather" and that is how I too discovered them. 
If you like this, give a listen to: Afraid, Let It Go, Honest, How, W.D.Y.W.F.M (What Do You Want From Me?), Female Robbery.

4. The Pretty Reckless
As a Gossip Girl fan, I had to kick myself for not giving in sooner to listen to Taylor Momsen's lead vocals for The Pretty Reckless. Formed of Momsen, Ben Phillips, Mark Damon and Jamie Perkins, The Pretty Reckless could be described as post-grunge. Listening to them, I'd say they've been heavily influenced by bands like Nirvana.

If you like the sound of this, give a listen to: House on a Hill, My Medicine, Zombie, Fucked Up World.


I hope to give an update every month for new music that I find, with different styles featured throughout. Have you heard any great bands/artists this year? Comment below and let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment